Thursday, December 5, 2013

Tardis Blanket for a Twin Bed

Two of my daughters are really into Dr Who! and this weekend we are celebrating one of their birthdays. She's young (turning 7) so we only allow her to watch one or two mild episodes over and over but she loves the tenth Doctor (says he looks like her daddy). We also happen to be moving her into a twin bed so I thought it fitting (and budget friendly) to combine the two events. We have new-to-us Hello Kitty sheets (no pillow case) and I thought a Tardis bed spread would be awesome. Have you ever priced these things?! I'm sorry but I'm not paying this much for a child's bed covering! I could only find instructions on how to crochet or knit a beautiful tardis blanket but I don't have time (or a teacher) so I needed to make my own pattern... So, I am making a fringed, fleece, tardis bedspread for this birthday weekend.  

What I used:
Blue fleece 2.25 yards 66"
Green fleece (for the back) 2.25 yards 66"
White fleece (remnant & could have used any white fabric) 
Black heavy fabric that I already had on hand (grab those old pants out of your hubby's closet! You know the ones I'm talking about. He never wears them, back-of-the-closet or bottom-drawer, they  aren't the right size... Go now!)
Black paint (I used black fabric "puffy")
Gold paint
Brass buttons (to look like he tacked the note on the door)
I actually messed up with my markings (maybe I shouldn't have used permanent lol) so, I turned this side in and started my measurements again
I used chalk on my black fabric to write the words. 
Here's a shot of the side that isn't messed up. All sewn and ready to be marked!

All marked and ready for the paint!
I did the paint in stages. Here, it is almost finished. 
A close-up of the note posted on the door of the Tardis. I used a marker to write it out (I would recommend using something washable like chalk), then the paint and after messing up I wound up upsizing from my original pattern anyway!

And here it is finished & on the bed.


She loves it and wears it all around the house like a robe! Success! 

Happy mama

No comments:

Post a Comment