Monday, November 25, 2013

Super easy, flaky biscuits from scratch!

So, I decided to stop using bisquick a while back which has made for some difficult dinner choices. Tonight, it was chicken & dumplings giving me pause. My chicken and dumplings are amazing... my Husband remembers me making them back when we dated! I've tried making the noodle kind (like his mom) but we all miss that fluffy biscuit floating in our bowl. So, changing the recipe is not easy. I found this amazing recipe for drop biscuits and decided to give it a try - boy was I in for a surprise! We loved it & wound up using the leftover dough to make biscuits for the next morning. I've adapted the recipe to work for our family since there are six of us and I will be tripling the recipe from now on. Below is the doubled recipe with my adjustments :)




4.5 c all-purpose flour
1.5 t sea salt
2 t sugar
8 t baking powder
2/3 c butter
2 c milk

Preheat oven to 450
Place all dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk to mix well.
Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry cutter, knife or your hands (making sure it doesn't melt the butter) until the buttery pieces are the size of peas.
Add cold milk and use a wooden spoon or plastic dough scraper to toss the ingredients together until just together before lifting out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface. 
Gently knead until it's mostly combined (we're not looking for a smooth dough here) and press (or roll) into a rectangle about an half inch thick. Now, here's where you can get creative... Use biscuit cutters to make round ones, use a pizza cutter to roll through the dough and make square ones, or cut anyway you like and place in a pan with melted butter or coconut oil and then you have a crispy bottom biscuit! Any which way you make these they are AMAZING!
Bake at 450 for 8-10 mins until golden brown and gorgeous.

Thank you to http://blog.kitchenmage.com/2008/01/simple-flaky-bi.html for the original recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment