Friday, January 2, 2015

DIY Lip Balm for Your Winter Lips

For as long as I can remember, I have had an issue with artificial flavors, scents and colors. Lip care is no different. Certain brands make my throat to burn, while others seemed to cause my chapped lips to get worse! So, I say to myself, "how can I do this at home, for myself, and better?" As it turns out, all I needed was coconut oil, beeswax and a few lip tubes. In the past, I have tried making complex recipes using waxes, butters and oils with varying degrees of success. After several attempts, I have discovered the best formula is a 1oil:1oil:1wax/hard butter ratio. This gives a smooth texture and softness that my other formulas were lacking. It's not sticky or waxy but it doesn't soak in too fast either. I am addicted to this lip balm now and can't stop giving it out to my friends asks family members!!

Here are a few variations I've created, and they've all worked nicely :)
coconut oil: almond oil: beeswax,
coconut oil: coconut oil: beeswax,
coconut oil: almond oil: cocoa butter

Pop all the ingredients in a microwave safe dish to melt. Begin with 30 seconds and only blast at 10 second intervals until melted - this is to avoid overheating*. stir occasionally and carefully to avoid incorporating to many bubbles. Once ingredients are melted, stir in essential oils (approx 30 drops per 8 oz lip balm mixture) and pour into lip tubes or pots. Allow to cool at least 20 mins before moving or using. Enjoy!!

*Too much heat can cause the butters and waxes to fracture which creates tiny shards in the final product. Not pleasant! Not smooth! Not what I want! Patience isn't my strongest personality feature BUT worth it for this project. :)



Coconut oil becomes liquid around 72 degrees Fahrenheit so don't leave near a heat source or in your car!

I currently have peppermint in stock and am working on a citrus and a vanilla so check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment